My kids LOVE grapes. If you’re a parent, you know that children tend to drop food on the floor quite prolifically. Sometimes, it gets worse as they enter their teenage years! Anyway, if you have a dog, this is a problem. You should never, ever, ever feed grapes or raisins to your dog or any dog, at any time. Like most toxins, there are varying scenarios in the event of ingestion:
- Nothing happens – the best case scenario
- Mild illness
- Moderate illness
- Severe illness
Unfortunately, there’s no hard and fast rule in terms of quantity ingested; some dogs can eat a handful and be fine, while others can eat only one grape and end up gravely ill.
Symptoms of Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs
We’ve created a handy infographic based on top symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs:
My Dog Ate Some Grapes! What Should I Do?
Even if your dog seems fine, phone your veterinarian.
Alternatively, you can call the ASPCA’s poison control line, which operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435
**Please note that they may charge a fee.
Additionally, here is a video by Veterinarian Dr. Michael Tokiwa on what to do if your dog has eaten grapes:
We hope that you’ve found this article informative! Feel free to share our infographic and thank you for reading!